Friday, November 4, 2011

Strength, Beauty, and Healthy....



Recently I came across picture that a friend of mine posted on facebook.  It was about strength coming in all sizes.... Its a fairly cool poster with multiple women of different stature's. (I am not posting it on here). A body builder, a couple of weightlifters, and a couple of gymnasts.  The tag line is "dont spend your time trying to look like someone else. Embrace who you are and build your own strength."  At first sight I thought it was a great picture and something that could come across as very inspiring for women out there.  Then a matter of seconds past and I came to my senses.  One of the weightlifters in this picture is extremely over weight.  She is standing right in the middle of some very impressive women, and I have no doubt that that young ladies strength is through the roof, but I bet her body comp, triglyceride levels, and who knows what else is too.  I'm not saying that they have to try to look like a supermodel, or even a Crossfitter, but she looks very unhealthy, and the picture is making that out to be ok.  Its NOT!!!  I love the idea of helping people get to a point to where they are comfortable with themselves, thats why I'm a trainer, but making excuses to allow yourself to be morbidly obese is not ok.  Maybe I have a skewed vision of the human condition, but I would think that we should strive to be healthy at the same time as striving to be strong.  We dont have to be little tiny models walking on a runway, I would put them in the same boat just at the opposite end.  I find it hard to believe that a woman who is 28yrs old 5'9" and weighs just shy of 300lbs is living up to her potential.  Like I said earlier I am sure she is freakishly strong, but I have to wonder if she is really happy with herself.  Hopefully to make myself completely and utterly clear, I dont want to downgrade anyones hard work.  She is a Oly lifter and obviously very good at what she does. Here is a view that I find more 


Written by one of our trainers this is just a small excerpt:  (For entire article click Here)

What a far cry from what used to be….
I used to want to be thin; now I proudly show off those lines in my shoulders and abs.
I used to want the pounds to decrease on the scale; now I watch them increase on the bar.
I used to exercise out of desperation; now I crave the feeling of a sub-5 Fran.
I used to eat for comfort, now I eat for fuel.
I used to do zumba, aerobics, random machines, i.e. waste my time; now I’m a Crossfitter.
I used to think being sweaty was gross; now I bask in hard-earned sweat angels.
I used to feel insecure about my physical capabilities; now I feel empowered.
I used to seek the attention of douche bags that also sought out the frail, skinny girl; now I’ve found the man that values and appreciates a strong woman.
I used to follow; now I lead.
I used to make excuses; now I show others how to get rid of theirs.
I used to cave under pressure; now I know discipline. 
I used to claim ignorance on nutrition; now knowledge is power.
I used to compare myself to all the other women around me; now I stand confidently, looking forward. 
I used to dream of doing things; now I just do them.
I used to be limited; now I’m unstoppable.
This is my new definition and my perspective of what a beautiful, healthy, capable woman should be. 

     I truly hope that this young lady takes into consideration what our trainer has said.  Girls, you can be strong.  You can be, do, and look however you want. Dont let others decide for you.  Strive for Healthy and strong and everything else will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment